[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Contribution to AUCTeX‏

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Contribution to AUCTeX‏
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:55:37 +0200

[...]

> > 2010-06-03 Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
>
> It would be good if we'd only use one email address for your ChangeLog
> entries. The last one got the Gmail address.

This is strange, my add-log-mailing-address variable is configured with
the sourceforge address, because I mainly use change logs for jPicEdt
which is on Sourceforge. Probably the last time I edited some changelog
by hand, without using `C-x 4 a'.

OK, I promise: all my future contributions will use the same address,
the sourceforge one. Do you really mind if it remains
vincentb1(arobase)users.sourceforge.net.

> > + (defconst Texinfo-structuring-command-re
> > + (concat "^\\s-*@"
> > + (funcall 'regexp-opt (mapcar 'car texinfo-section-list)
> > + 'word))
>
> `regexp-opt' only knows `words', not `word'.

Ooops, corrected.

> Also, is the performance
> really so bad that the regexp has to be computed here?

Actually I realized that the outline-regexp can be used instead, and
therefore that constant Texinfo-structuring-command-re is not needed
anby longer as such.

I however declared Texinfo-structuring-command-re as a defvar to avoid
memory duplication (ie when there are several Texinfo buffer the same
string will be used in memory).

I also kept the regexp-opt, this is not really a question of execution
speed, I don't there there is any significant difference in speed, but a
regexp-opt use 245 byte memory while a mapconcat uses 296 bytes. Saving
memory is good because it affects all the system positively, and not
only section/node marking.

> In latex.el this
> is done one the fly which has the advantage that you don't have to reset
> the "variable" when you change `texinfo-section-list'.

Is that possible that texinfo-section-list be changed ?! that would mean
that the texinfo specification is changed. OK, I wrote the code in a way
there texinfo-section-list may have different values in different
buffers, Texinfo-structuring-command-re will just capture the one for
the 1st texinfo buffer edited.

> > + (defun Texinfo-mark-section (&optional to-be-marked)
> > + "Mark current section, with inclusion of any containing to-be-marked,
> > + where current section is started by any of the structuring
> > + commands matched by regexp in constant
> > + `Texinfo-structuring-command-re'.
>
> This docstring is not checkdoc-compliant. It should probably also
> mention `texinfo-section-list' instead of
> `Texinfo-structuring-command-re'.

Corrected. I ran checkdoc, and it is now OK.

> > + If optional argument TO-BE-MARKED is set to 1 or is a non nil empty
> > + argument, then mark current node.
> > +
> > + If optional argument TO-BE-MARKED is set to 2 or to `-', then
> > + mark current section, with exclusion of any subsections."
>
> Hm, that interface seems a bit awkard. I'm not sure it is very lispy to
> use numeric values with the prefix argument like that. The behavior
> also differs from `LaTeX-mark-section'. Perhaps there should be two
> separate commands, one for nodes and one for sectioning?

Well, do you have any more concrete suggestion ?

> With respect to the rest of the code, there are a few lines which are
> longer than 80 characters and should be shortened.

OK, I activated whitespace-mode and it is now OK, I also removed a
number of line tailing spaces.

> > + (define-key map "\C-c." 'Texinfo-mark-environment)
> > + (define-key map "\C-c*" 'Texinfo-mark-section)
>
> Those bindings are already marked as being dubious in latex.el because
> the Emacs key binding conventions do not really encourage to use them.
> So perhaps we should not introduce them in Texinfo mode as well.
>
> I'm not sure if there are better alternatives. Lisp mode, for example,
> has `C-M-h' for `mark-defun'. (Does anybody know where this `h'
> mnemonic stems from?) But then we are still one binding short.

In suspect that `h' is used because `C-x h' is already used to mark
whole buffer, abd that the `h' of `C-x h' comes from the pronounciation
of `whole', and this that `w' would be confusing as it makes to much
think of `window'. Well, I am speculating.

Well we could use the same binding C-M-SPC or C-M-@ used by mark-sexp to
mark environment, and C-M-h (used for defun) in order to mark sections.

If everybody agrees, I will do that in the next update.

Please find attached this update.

> --
> Ralf

Vincent.
*** c:/Programme/GNU/installation/auctex-install/auctex/tex-info.el     Sun Jun
--- tex-info.el Sun Jul  4 21:53:47 2010
***************
*** 49,61 ****
      ("ifxml") ("ignore") ("itemize") ("lisp") ("macro") ("menu")
      ("multitable") ("quotation") ("smalldisplay") ("smallexample")
      ("smallformat") ("smalllisp") ("table") ("tex") ("titlepage")
!     ("verbatim") ("vtable"))
    "Alist of Texinfo environments.")

  (defconst texinfo-environment-regexp
    ;; Overwrite version from `texinfo.el'.
    (concat "address@hidden("
!         (mapconcat 'car Texinfo-environment-list "\\|")
          "\\|end\\)\\>")
    "Regexp for environment-like Texinfo list commands.
  Subexpression 1 is what goes into the corresponding address@hidden'
statement.")
--- 49,67 ----
      ("ifxml") ("ignore") ("itemize") ("lisp") ("macro") ("menu")
      ("multitable") ("quotation") ("smalldisplay") ("smallexample")
      ("smallformat") ("smalllisp") ("table") ("tex") ("titlepage")
!     ("verbatim") ("vtable"))
    "Alist of Texinfo environments.")

+ (defvar Texinfo-structuring-command-re nil
+   "Placeholder for regexp to match structuring commands.
+ This is done in order not to duplicate variable `outline-regexp'
+ memory footprint when several Texinfo buffers are edited.")
+
+
  (defconst texinfo-environment-regexp
    ;; Overwrite version from `texinfo.el'.
    (concat "address@hidden("
!         (regexp-opt (mapcar 'car Texinfo-environment-list))
          "\\|end\\)\\>")
    "Regexp for environment-like Texinfo list commands.
  Subexpression 1 is what goes into the corresponding address@hidden'
statement.")
***************
*** 132,138 ****
        (if (= level 0)
          (goto-char (match-end 0))
        (error "Can't locate end of current environment")))))
!
  (defun Texinfo-find-env-start ()
    "Move point to the start of the current environment."
    (interactive)
--- 138,144 ----
        (if (= level 0)
          (goto-char (match-end 0))
        (error "Can't locate end of current environment")))))
!
  (defun Texinfo-find-env-start ()
    "Move point to the start of the current environment."
    (interactive)
***************
*** 160,165 ****
--- 166,296 ----
          (goto-char (match-beginning 0))
        (error "Can't locate start of current environment")))))

+
+
+ (defun Texinfo-mark-environment (&optional count)
+   "Set mark to end of current environment and point to the matching begin.
+ If prefix argument COUNT is given, mark the respective number of
+ enclosing environments.  The command will not work properly if
+ there are unbalanced begin-end pairs in comments and verbatim
+ environments."
+   ;; TODO:
+   ;; This is identical to the LaTeX counterpart but for the find begin/end
+   ;; functions. So some day the implemenation should be factorized.
+   (interactive "p")
+   (setq count (if count (abs count) 1))
+   (let ((cur (point)) beg end)
+     ;; Only change point and mark after beginning and end were found.
+     ;; Point should not end up in the middle of nowhere if the search fails.
+     (save-excursion
+       (dotimes (c count)
+       (Texinfo-find-env-end))
+       (setq end (line-beginning-position 2))
+       (goto-char cur)
+       (dotimes (c count)
+       (Texinfo-find-env-start)
+       (unless (= (1+ c) count)
+         (beginning-of-line 0)))
+       (setq beg (point)))
+     (set-mark end)
+     (goto-char beg)
+     (TeX-activate-region)))
+
+
+ (defun Texinfo-mark-section (&optional to-be-marked)
+   "Mark current section, with inclusion of any containing node.
+
+ The current section is detected as starting by any of the
+ structuring commands matched by regexp in variable
+ `outline-regexp' which in turn is a regexp matching any element
+ of variable `texinfo-section-list'.
+
+ If optional argument TO-BE-MARKED is set to 1 or is a non nil empty
+ argument, then mark current node.
+
+ If optional argument TO-BE-MARKED is set to 2 or to `-', then
+ mark current section, with exclusion of any subsections."
+   (interactive "P")
+   (let (beg end is-beg-section is-end-section)
+     (cond
+      ;; node
+      ((or (eq to-be-marked 1)
+         (and (consp to-be-marked) (eq (car to-be-marked) 4)))
+       (setq beg
+           (save-excursion
+             (end-of-line)
+             (re-search-backward "address@hidden>" nil t ))
+           end
+           (save-excursion
+             (beginning-of-line)
+             (when
+                 (re-search-forward "address@hidden(?:node\\|bye\\)\\_>" nil t
)
+               (beginning-of-line)
+               (point)))))
+      ;; section with exclusion of any subsection
+      ((memq to-be-marked '(- 2))
+       (setq beg (save-excursion
+                 (end-of-line)
+                 (re-search-backward (concat "^\\s-*" outline-regexp) nil t))
+           is-beg-section t
+           end
+           (save-excursion
+             (beginning-of-line)
+             (when
+                 (re-search-forward (concat "^\\s-*" outline-regexp
+                                            "\\|address@hidden>" ) nil t)
+               (save-match-data
+                 (beginning-of-line)
+                 (point))))
+           is-end-section (match-string 1)))
+      ;;
+      (t
+       (let (section-command-level)
+       (setq beg
+             (save-excursion
+               (end-of-line)
+               (re-search-backward (concat "^\\s-*" outline-regexp) nil t)))
+       (when beg
+         (setq is-beg-section t
+               section-command-level
+               (cadr (assoc (match-string 1) texinfo-section-list))
+               end
+               (save-excursion
+                 (beginning-of-line)
+                 (while
+                     (and (re-search-forward (concat "^\\s-*" outline-regexp
+                                                     "\\|address@hidden>" )
+                                             nil t)
+                         (or
+                          (null (setq is-end-section  (match-string 1)))
+                          (> (cadr (assoc is-end-section
+                                         texinfo-section-list))
+                             section-command-level))))
+                 (when (match-string 0)
+                   (beginning-of-line)
+                   (point))))))));  (cond ...)
+     (when (and beg end)
+       ;; now take also enclosing node of beg and end
+       (dolist
+         (boundary '(beg end))
+       (when (symbol-value
+              (intern (concat "is-"
+                              (symbol-name boundary) "-section")))
+         (save-excursion
+           (goto-char (symbol-value boundary))
+           (while
+               (and
+                (null (bobp))
+                (progn
+                  (beginning-of-line 0)
+                  (looking-at "^\\s-*\\($\\|@\\(c\\|comment\\)\\_>\\)"))))
+           (when  (looking-at "address@hidden>")
+             (set boundary (point))))))
+
+       (set-mark end)
+       (goto-char beg)
+       (TeX-activate-region) )))
+
  (defun Texinfo-insert-node ()
    "Insert a Texinfo node in the current buffer.
  That means, insert the string address@hidden' and prompt for current,
***************
*** 231,236 ****
--- 362,369 ----

      ;; Simulating LaTeX-mode
      (define-key map "\C-c\C-e" 'Texinfo-environment)
+     (define-key map "\C-c." 'Texinfo-mark-environment)
+     (define-key map "\C-c*" 'Texinfo-mark-section)
      (define-key map "\C-c\n"   'address@hidden)
      (or (key-binding "\e\r")
        (define-key map "\e\r" 'address@hidden)) ;*** Alias
***************
*** 318,324 ****
      (?C    "@cite{" "}")
      (?\C-d "" "" t))
    "Font commands used in Texinfo mode.  See `TeX-font-list'.")
!
  ;;; Mode:

  ;;;###autoload
--- 451,457 ----
      (?C    "@cite{" "}")
      (?\C-d "" "" t))
    "Font commands used in Texinfo mode.  See `TeX-font-list'.")
!
  ;;; Mode:

  ;;;###autoload
***************
*** 342,351 ****
    (use-local-map Texinfo-mode-map)
    (set-syntax-table texinfo-mode-syntax-table)
    (make-local-variable 'page-delimiter)
!   (setq page-delimiter
!       (concat
!        "address@hidden [ \t]*[Tt]op\\|address@hidden("
!        texinfo-chapter-level-regexp
         "\\)"))
    (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline)
    (setq require-final-newline t)
--- 475,484 ----
    (use-local-map Texinfo-mode-map)
    (set-syntax-table texinfo-mode-syntax-table)
    (make-local-variable 'page-delimiter)
!   (setq page-delimiter
!       (concat
!        "address@hidden [ \t]*[Tt]op\\|address@hidden("
!        texinfo-chapter-level-regexp
         "\\)"))
    (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline)
    (setq require-final-newline t)
***************
*** 383,396 ****
    (if (not (boundp 'texinfo-section-list))
        ;; This was included in 19.31.
        ()
!     (make-local-variable 'outline-regexp)
!     (setq outline-regexp
!         (concat "@\\("
!                 (mapconcat 'car texinfo-section-list "\\>\\|")
!                 "\\>\\)"))
      (make-local-variable 'outline-level)
      (setq outline-level 'texinfo-outline-level))
!
    ;; Mostly AUCTeX stuff
    (easy-menu-add Texinfo-mode-menu Texinfo-mode-map)
    (easy-menu-add Texinfo-command-menu Texinfo-mode-map)
--- 516,535 ----
    (if (not (boundp 'texinfo-section-list))
        ;; This was included in 19.31.
        ()
!     (set (make-local-variable 'outline-regexp)
!        (let ((re (concat "@"
!                          (funcall 'regexp-opt
!                                   (mapcar 'car texinfo-section-list)
!                                   'words))))
!              (cond
!               ((null Texinfo-structuring-command-re)
!                (setq Texinfo-structuring-command-re re))
!               ((string= Texinfo-structuring-command-re re)
!                Texinfo-structuring-command-re)
!               (t re))))
      (make-local-variable 'outline-level)
      (setq outline-level 'texinfo-outline-level))
!
    ;; Mostly AUCTeX stuff
    (easy-menu-add Texinfo-mode-menu Texinfo-mode-map)
    (easy-menu-add Texinfo-command-menu Texinfo-mode-map)
***************
*** 409,415 ****
    (setq TeX-command-default "TeX")
    (setq TeX-header-end "%*end")
    (setq TeX-trailer-start (regexp-quote (concat TeX-esc "bye")))
!
    (make-local-variable 'TeX-complete-list)
    (setq TeX-complete-list
        (list (list "@\\([a-zA-Z]*\\)" 1 'TeX-symbol-list nil)
--- 548,554 ----
    (setq TeX-command-default "TeX")
    (setq TeX-header-end "%*end")
    (setq TeX-trailer-start (regexp-quote (concat TeX-esc "bye")))
!
    (make-local-variable 'TeX-complete-list)
    (setq TeX-complete-list
        (list (list "@\\([a-zA-Z]*\\)" 1 'TeX-symbol-list nil)
***************
*** 419,425 ****
    (setq TeX-font-list Texinfo-font-list)
    (make-local-variable 'TeX-font-replace-function)
    (setq TeX-font-replace-function 'TeX-font-replace-macro)
!
    (add-hook 'find-file-hooks (lambda ()
                               (unless (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
                                 (TeX-master-file nil nil t))) nil t)
--- 558,564 ----
    (setq TeX-font-list Texinfo-font-list)
    (make-local-variable 'TeX-font-replace-function)
    (setq TeX-font-replace-function 'TeX-font-replace-macro)
!
    (add-hook 'find-file-hooks (lambda ()
                               (unless (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
                                 (TeX-master-file nil nil t))) nil t)
***************
*** 548,554 ****
     '("vskip" (TeX-arg-literal " ") (TeX-arg-free "Amount"))
     '("w" "Text")
     '("xref" "Node name"))
!
    (TeX-run-mode-hooks 'text-mode-hook 'Texinfo-mode-hook)
    (TeX-set-mode-name))

--- 687,693 ----
     '("vskip" (TeX-arg-literal " ") (TeX-arg-free "Amount"))
     '("w" "Text")
     '("xref" "Node name"))
!
    (TeX-run-mode-hooks 'text-mode-hook 'Texinfo-mode-hook)
    (TeX-set-mode-name))

***************
*** 568,574 ****
  i.e. you do _not_ have to cater for this yourself by adding \\\\' or $."
    :type '(repeat regexp)
    :group 'TeX-command)
!
  (provide 'tex-info)
!
  ;;; tex-info.el ends here
--- 707,713 ----
  i.e. you do _not_ have to cater for this yourself by adding \\\\' or $."
    :type '(repeat regexp)
    :group 'TeX-command)
!
  (provide 'tex-info)
!
  ;;; tex-info.el ends here
2010-06-03  Vincent Belaïche  <address@hidden>

        * tex-info.el (Texinfo-mark-section): Creation of function
        (Texinfo-mark-environment): Creation of function
        (texinfo-environment-regexp): optimize by use of regexp-opt