[AUCTeX-devel] Biber support in Auctex

From: Philip Kime
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Biber support in Auctex
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:35:46 +0100

Greetings,
  I'm the current developer of biber, which is the main backend of the biblatex
package. I was wondering about how desirable it seems to add biber support to
auctex? biblatex/biber use is currently rapidly expanding since biber was added
to TeXLive and I think it's fairly fair to say that biblatex/biber is set to
become the default for users doing bibliographies in LaTeX in the future since
its current and planned feature set is certainly beyond anything that can be
done in plain bibtex. This seems to me to make it at least attractive to have
AucTeX support biber natively. I have tried to keep the biber warnings/errors
format the same as bibtex in the main so it's possible to add auctex support to
some extent by defining a few variables. This works reasonably but it would be
better to have it properly integrated with auctex. This would require some
message parsing, the ability to pass certain flags automatically to biber would
also be nice. I'm afraid I'm a fairly amateur lisp programmer these days and
all of my "spare" time for programming is spent on biber anyway.

PK
--
Dr Philip Kime