Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Control the location of the preview files

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Control the location of the preview files
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:55:25 +0200

* Antoine Levitt (2011-05-26) writes:

> One thing I don't like about preview.el is the way it clutters the
> source directory (it's already a mess with all those tex temp
> files). Could there be a customizable folder where all these files would
> be put, the way backups (for instance) do via backup-directory-alist?
> I'd like to put them into ~/.emacs.d/auctex-preview/ or something and
> just forget about them.
>
> The prv_filename files look trivial to move by just redefining
> preview-dump-file-name, but the _region_ bit looks more involved, so I'm
> reluctant to do it myself. Could someone take a look?

The location of _region_.tex seems to be pretty much hard-coded.  It's
written by `TeX-region-create' which is called in `preview-region'.  If
you wanted to experiment with that, you could set the `nondirectory'
parameter of `TeX-region-file' in the call to `TeX-region-create' and
provide a directory yourself.

I'm not sure if moving _region_.tex to another directory makes much
sense, though, because compilation of the file will fail if it loads
files from the master directory.  And such a situation is not uncommon.