[AUCTeX-devel] Converting AUCTeX CVS to a modern dVCS

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Converting AUCTeX CVS to a modern dVCS
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 21:53:06 +0200

Hi all,

I'd love to move the auctex sources to some modern distributed version
control system.  I now had some time to do some testing, and AFAICS the
conversions look ok.  There are some minor things that need to be fixed,
e.g., there are some old committers I don't know and that aren't listed
on the savannah project page.

It would be good if others have a look at the conversions to check if
everything's allright.

Ok, so there's one conversion to Git.  You can clone it like so:

  % git clone http://tsdh.org/auctex.git

And alternatively, there's a conversion to GNU Bazaar.  Branch the trunk
branch like so (right now, there's no support for cloning a complete
shared repo with all branches, but it's on the bzr TODO list):

  % bzr branch http://www.tsdh.org/auctex.bzr/trunk auctex

I don't have a strong opinion about what dVCS we'll eventually use.  Git
seems to be a bit more popular (I also know it much better) and the Git
repo is about 10 times smaller than the bzr one.  Bazaar on the other
hand is a GNU project like AUCTeX and claims to be easier to use and
probably better supported on Windows.

Opinions, problems, suggestions welcome!