Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [Mac OS X] Advice on `TeX-view-program-list-builtin'

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [Mac OS X] Advice on `TeX-view-program-list-builtin'
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:13:13 +0200

On Jul 31, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Moritz Ulrich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just stumbled over the following comment in tex.el:

> ;; XXX: We need the advice of a Mac OS X user to configure this
> ;; correctly and test it.
> ;;    ((eq system-type 'darwin)
> ;;     '(("Preview.app" "open -a Preview.app %o")
> ;;       ("Skim" "open -a Skim.app %o")
> ;;       ("displayline" "displayline %n %o %b")
> ;;       ("open" "open %o")))
>
> They seem to generally work on my machine, with the exception of
> displayinline as I don't have it installed.

You do have displayline installed (if you have Skim installed), it's
just that it's inside the Skim.app bundle, and so it's not in your
PATH.  Specifically it's at
Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline .

> I'd suggest wrapping the %o in quotation marks as there might be
> problems with spaces in file names.

That's already taken care of on my machine (by escaping the spaces
with a backslash).  No doubt this is done by calling
`shell-quote-argument'.  That said, I can't get AUCTeX to compile a
file with spaces in the name, but that's probably just me being dumb.

> Umlauts (äöü) don't seem to work, they appear as \ü etc. in the file
> name and open can't find them. That seems like a fixable bug, but I'm
> not sure if this is an issue of Emacs or Auctex.

This is a "problem" with `shell-quote-argument':

(shell-quote-argument "hi thereá")
"hi\\ there\\á"

Note however, that open can find such files OMM, so the problem is
likely somewhere else.

> If there's a default, 'open' should be it. It uses whatever the user set
> as the default application for opening the specific file type. It
> returns an error code when there's no application available which can
> open it.

I'm not sure I agree that open should be the default.  The downside to
this is that forward and reverse searching do not work with open.
IMHO if Skim can be found, it should be used via displayline.  If
people are interested I could come up with a function to divine the
existence of Skim, and location of displayline automatically.  I have
papers in the mail (still--they were sent from Hungary) for contributing
to Emacs, but I don't know if that's required for AUCTeX as well.

> Please CC me in answers - I'm not subscribed to the mailing list.

-Ivan