[AUCTeX-devel] User-customizable RefTeX citations

From: Mark Edgington
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] User-customizable RefTeX citations
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:04:24 -0400

Hello all,

I would like to use RefTeX to insert a customized citation-style that
includes a link to a paper's PDF file.  The bibtex reference manager I
use creates a "file" field in each bibtex entry that has the following
form:

file = {:home/username/path/to/paper name.pdf:pdf}

What I'd like to be able to do is define a citation style that creates
an emacs link to this PDF file.  I think the most straightforward and
general way of allowing this is to have a reftex-cite-format percent
escape which calls a user-definable function that takes "entry" as its
argument.  For example, if reftex-cite-format is 'abc %z def', then
the '%z' would get replaced with the string returned by
"reftex-cite-formatter (entry)".  Of course this limits the user to
having only one such function, so maybe it would be better to have a
percent escape like %z(formatter-function-name), which would just call
the specified function name and substitute with the returned string.

Does this seem like a sensible enhancement, or is there some other way
to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Regards,

Mark