[AUCTeX-devel] How about a new release?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] How about a new release?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:15:36 +0100

Hi all,

I think it's time to roll a new AUCTeX release.  I've tried out the
release procedure documented in the Makefile.  I omitted the
release-commit target and used TAG=2012-11-09 (you can use tags and
dates).

The normal dist target creating the tarball and zip distribution work
fine.

The xemacs-package target seems to work, but it byte-compiles the files
with emacs (I don't have xemacs installed).  Probably, files compiled
with emacs 24 won't run on XEmacs, right?  How would I tell it to use
XEmacs if I had installed it?  Re-configuring with --emacs=xemacs
before "make xemacs-package"?

Also, the xemacs-package target finishes with errors, although I can't
see any errors in the output.

Congratulations!  Build is complete.

Now, run "make install" as root, or whatever user has permissions
to write to the install directory.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/xemacs-build/preview'
Ascending into /home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/xemacs-build/preview
cd doc && make 'DESTDIR=' install-man
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/xemacs-build/doc'
test xno != xno && \
{ ../mkinstalldirs no/man/auctex ; \
for i in auctex.texi install.texi wininstall.texi intro.texi changes.texi
todo.texi faq.texi macros.texi quickstart.texi fdl.texi version.texi
copying.texi preview-faq.texi macros.texi preview-dtxdoc.texi
preview-latex.texi preview-problems.texi preview-readme.texi preview-todo.texi
version.texi tex-ref.tex ; \
do echo /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $i no/man/auctex; \
   /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $i no/man/auctex; \
done ; \
}
make[2]: *** [install-man] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/xemacs-build/doc'
make[1]: *** [install-man] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/xemacs-build'
make: *** [xemacs-package] Error 2

The windows-package can only be made on windows I guess.

And what's the GENDOCSPATCH argument of the www-doc target?

So Ralf, David, if we're going for a new release, I think I need some
assistance. :-)