Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX

From: Didier Verna
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX ELPA package to the new 11.87 release.
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 18:22:06 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Can you describe how does the XEmacs-package-building relates to the
>> VCS repository?  Is it that the CVS layout was chosen specifically to
>> match the XEmacs package requirements?

> No.  XEmacs was supported after the CVS layout had been established.  An
> XEmacs package is assembled in a target directory hierarchy separate
> from the source tree.

>> Are those requirements incompatible with the ones for ELPA packages?
>
> No idea.

  Not sure how this would work for a complex thing such as AUCTeX, but
  most of the time, it's not so difficult to support all those
  installation schemes from a single source tree.

  The key to packaging for XEmacs is that you need to provide a specific
  Makefile (sort of imposed by the infrastructure) with some predefined
  variables that you need to fill in. But the underlying organization of
  your source tree is pretty much what you want.

  Because the Makefile is specific, it's better to export your source
  tree to another directory (as David says) for XEmacs packaging. For my
  own packages, I have a generic infrastructure that does this. Every
  project contains a file named Makefile.pkg which is the XEmacs package
  one. I use 'hg convert' to export the tree to the appropriate place
  (XEmacs packages are under Mercurial) with a special .hgfilemap
  containing essentially this:

rename Makefile.pkg Makefile

  but the rest of the source tree remains mostly the same. I like to
  organize my tree with lisp/*.el doc/*.texi etc/stuff etc., but you
  could also be plain flat of whatever.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com