Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX ELPA package to the new 11.87 release.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:25:29 +0900

Off-topic for emacs-devel.  emacs-devel squelched.

Uwe Brauer writes:

 > I wish [...] that there existed a debian-like-alien tool which
 > allowed to convert one package into another one, like deb-->rpm

This is a red herring.  The issue of what XEmacs distributes is
entirely the build environment.  AUCTeX is building in an
idiosyncratic environment of whatever packages they have to hand,
XEmacs-distributed packages are built in a controlled environment.
XEmacs can't just use the AUCTeX build system, because it depends on
technology our users may not have installed (autoconf, at least).

OTOH, if you have a GNU/Linux system or Cygwin and wish to build an
XEmacs package from upstream sources, it's easy.  The effort to build
some kind of converter would not be justified.

 > Well if their package manager were faster it should be a
 > question of days not years :'(

Uwe, this is nonsense.  Distribution lag has nothing to do with the
package manager, either the Lisp part or the human part (if Norbert
were any faster, he'd be a time machine).  As David says, the problem
is a lack of experienced developers willing to deal with the
difference in build systems.  I greatly appreciate your efforts, but
they've been insufficient.  I've spent some effort on this, but it's
not ready.  It's not at all impossible, but will take time I don't
have at the moment.