Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX ELPA package to the new 11.87 release.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:37:22 +0100

>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:25:29 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

   > Off-topic for emacs-devel.  emacs-devel squelched.
   > Uwe Brauer writes:

   >> I wish [...] that there existed a debian-like-alien tool which
   >> allowed to convert one package into another one, like deb-->rpm

   > This is a red herring.  The issue of what XEmacs distributes is
   > entirely the build environment.

Well may be, but I still feel it is a waste of resources to a
extend that the auctex team has developed its own Makefile
to generate a xemacs pkg, and we cannot use it!

   >> Well if their package manager were faster it should be a
   >> question of days not years :'(

   > Uwe, this is nonsense.  Distribution lag has nothing to
   > do with the package manager, either the Lisp part or
   > the human part (if Norbert were any faster, he'd be a
   > time machine).

*Of course* it is nonsense!!! This was a lame intend of mine
to be self ironic. When I wrote "_package manager_" is was
thinking of myself since I am the person in charge of
upgrading the auctex xemacs pkg. Only when I read your reply
it crossed my mind that this term could refer to Norbert,
our package manager, who as you says does a terrific and
fast job. I am sorry, Norbert I owe you an apology.

   > As David says, the problem is a lack of experienced
   > developers willing to deal with the difference in build
   > systems.  I greatly appreciate your efforts, but
   > they've been insufficient.

Yes this is correct.  We should however put things into
context. Years ago auctex was in a frozen state of
development. Things changed when David stepped in and then I
asked to transform his efforts into the xemacs pkg system and
ended up doing it myself. Auctex has undergone some dramatic
changes, most notable the inclusion of preview latex. To
transform this last mayor change into our system proved for
me a nightmare which could only be resolved thanks to
Mats. However since a couple of months auctex development has
been slower. The actual version is 11.86, xemacs pkg
version is 11.85. I did not upgrade because I was too lazy,
did not see any request in the mailing list.., whatever excuse
I can make.

In any case although  this is my fault I don't think this
difference is very dramatic, but I feel obliged to upgrade
in order to avoid that some day the auctex team decides to
drop xemacs support all together

Uwe