Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [ELPA-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r312: Update AUCTeX ELPA package to the new 11.87 release.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:45:53 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:25:29 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>    > Off-topic for emacs-devel.  emacs-devel squelched.
>    > Uwe Brauer writes:
>
>    >> I wish [...] that there existed a debian-like-alien tool which
>    >> allowed to convert one package into another one, like deb-->rpm
>
>    > This is a red herring.  The issue of what XEmacs distributes is
>    > entirely the build environment.
>
> Well may be, but I still feel it is a waste of resources to a
> extend that the auctex team has developed its own Makefile
> to generate a xemacs pkg, and we cannot use it!

It can be used for verification.  As long as the upstream XEmacs package
_does_ work, you can't go wrong much by tweaking the XEmacs packaging
mechanism until it comes up with the same results.

> been slower. The actual version is 11.86, xemacs pkg
> version is 11.85. I did not upgrade because I was too lazy,
> did not see any request in the mailing list.., whatever excuse
> I can make.

I think there also was some delay due to AUCTeX switching to GPLv3+ and
XEmacs not being compatible with that at the time.

> In any case although  this is my fault I don't think this
> difference is very dramatic, but I feel obliged to upgrade
> in order to avoid that some day the auctex team decides to
> drop xemacs support all together

The problem is more that I don't know anybody from the "AUCTeX team"
actively using or even checking XEmacs support, so there is a non-zero
probability that it will silently cease working at some point of time,
either due to AUCTeX changes or due to XEmacs changes.

--
David Kastrup