Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUC-TeX and TeXLive banners

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUC-TeX and TeXLive banners
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:45:49 +0100

> If there is a real error in your file, but it opens up a *TeX Live
> 2012* buffer instead of the actual file then this has been observed by
> me and many other people (e.g. on Stack Overflow [1]).  It's due to
> misparsing the output of TeX (or the output itself being misleading),
> and can be largely (though not wholly) eliminated by using the
> -file-line-error-style flag to latex.

Yes, that's likely the culprit.  I've set

  % Control file:line:error style messages.
  file_line_error_style = t

in /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, and then the AUCTeX error parsing works
as expected.

If you have a different problem, could you please post the complete log
being parsed?

No, thanks. This fixes my problem. And it seems that I'm loosing my memory because given the
time I have spent working on web2c, I should have noticed that I somehow overwrote this option.
(I had it turned on previously)

It should definitely be the default for a web2c TeX engine.

Best regards,

Fabrice