Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make TeX output buffer inherit from special-mode

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make TeX output buffer inherit from special-mode
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:36:26 +0100

On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> [I've added the list back to Cc.]

Sorry.  It seems no matter how hard I try I always forget to do that.  :-/

>>> In my opinion, jumping to the previous error is more important in
>>> output buffers than toggling TeX-PDF-mode.  The latter has nothing to
>>> do with debugging the output.
>>
>> I agree, but it isn't supported.  If you mean that I should
>> reserve the key for when it is supported, that's probably a good
>> idea.
>
> Oh, that's a pitty!

Isn't it though?  :-(

> Hm, if we'd save the current error number in addition to file, offset,
> and point, then we could define `TeX-previous-error' as (TeX-next-error
> (1- TeX-error-number)), right?  Feel free to give that a try (or any
> other solution to this problem).

I thought of that, but I wasn't sure how hard it would be.  I'll give it a go,
but I think it should be a separate patch from this one.

>> Perhaps `TeX-PDF-mode' could go on "P"?
>
> No objection from my side, although I see no point in it.
>
>> or just not be bound at all?
>
> That's what I prefer, unless you come up with a usecase where it would
> make sense to toggle to/from PDF mode while debugging the compilation.

I'll do that for now.  I don't have a use case, I just included everything
under C-c C-t (except TeX-pin-region which makes no sense at all).

>> If not at all then probably `TeX-source-correlate-mode' shouldn't be
>> bound either since it's even less important.
>
> Not sure.  I can imagine enabling `TeX-source-correlate-mode' while
> debugging warnings or bad boxes, i.e., I want to jump to the location in
> the PDF where a given bad box was reported.

You could be right.

>>> And these two commands would also make very much sense here:
>>>
>>> ,----[ (info "(auctex)Debugging") ]

>>> `----
>>
>> Those are already there, on "b" and "w" respectively.
>
> Oh yeah, I've completely overlooked them. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to review this.  I probably won't get a chance to
work on the documentation until next week.

-Ivan