Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeX-header-start

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeX-header-start
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:16:04 +0100

Mads Jensen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mads,

> I noticed in the wishlist that it might be nice to have this.

I don't see a reason to have these new variables when they are not used
at all.  And as you've mentioned already, coming up with some good
default values is hard.  I prefer not having a feature over having a
feature that's likely not to work in some cases.

Reading the TODOs, it seems the author of this wishlist item had
outlining of preamble/header and trailer in mind.  But that already does
work just fine.  Toggling visibility of \documentclass shows/ hides
everything up to the \begin{document}, and toggling visibility of
\end{document} shows/hides everything after it.

Some other comments:

  - Why is LaTeX-header-start global but TeX-header-start buffer-local?

  - The \documentclass may be preceeded with other stuff like
    filecontents, which also belong to the header.

  - In a plain TeX file, there's no such thing as \documentclass, so
    initializing TeX-header-start with LaTeX-header-start doesn't make
    sense.  Basically, the header starts at the first position in a
    document's master file, no matter if TeX or LaTeX are used...

  - Although not done directly in its defvar form, TeX-trailer-start is
    already initialized depending on if it's a TeX, LaTeX, or ConTeXt
    document.

I've removed the sbox-thingy from the todo list, though, and kept you in
the ChangeLog for this.