Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Patch for multi-prompt.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Patch for multi-prompt.el
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:44:44 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Now I require crm top-level immediately in tex.el and not in
>>> `multi-prompt-key-value', and that fixes the issue.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be more efficient to just do (defvar crm-separator) in
>> tex.el instead of preloading the whole of crm just in case?
>
> Yes, however I don't see too much benefit in that.
>
> crm.el is just a handful of variables and functions amounting to
> ~200LOC, half of which is docstrings, and it doesn't require anything
> else.
>
> Furthermore, there are at least 8 styles including popular ones like
> hyperref and listings which would load it anyway, just later.  Probably
> there are many more that don't use it currently only because their
> package options haven't been implemented yet.
>
> That said, I don't have a strong opinion on that.  If you prefer the
> on-demand loading version, I'm happy to change it accordingly.

Triggering a load of tex.el happens rather easily (loading any TeX file,
even if you are just browsing, will achieve that).  For that reason, it
makes sense to make most of its interactive dependencies autoloading
rather than loading them directly.  Similar for latex.el, and
font-latex.el (I think even tex-buf.el manages to stay unloaded unless
you are actually working with the buffer commands).  I don't remember
how crm-separator is actually being used, so I'm not sure about the best
path here.  It just rang my alarm bell.

--
David Kastrup