Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Patch for multi-prompt.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Patch for multi-prompt.el
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 19:29:29 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> That said, I don't have a strong opinion on that.  If you prefer the
>> on-demand loading version, I'm happy to change it accordingly.
>
> Triggering a load of tex.el happens rather easily (loading any TeX
> file, even if you are just browsing, will achieve that).  For that
> reason, it makes sense to make most of its interactive dependencies
> autoloading rather than loading them directly.  Similar for latex.el,
> and font-latex.el (I think even tex-buf.el manages to stay unloaded
> unless you are actually working with the buffer commands).  I don't
> remember how crm-separator is actually being used, so I'm not sure
> about the best path here.  It just rang my alarm bell.

You are probably right, however just a forward-declaration of
`crm-separator' in tex.el doesn't work.  That is, when you eval

  (progn
    (defvar crm-separator)
    (let ((crm-separator ","))
      (require 'crm)))

afterwards, `crm-separator' is void as a variable instead of having the
init value defined in crm.el.  That's exactly the original problem.