Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xindy

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xindy
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:11:19 +0100

Mads Jensen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mads,

> Xindy is an alternative command to generate indexes.  It supports a
> lisp syntax-like language for specifying how to format entries, e.g.,
> whether to use number ranges, and how to sort entries etc. Xindy is a
> program for handling indexing for multiple formats, including
> TeX/LaTeX for which purpose there's texindy.
>
> I just added an entry to TeX-command-list, as the program uses the
> same output from LaTeX, but you can specify some extra switches, e.g.,
> one for handling German, and which style file to use (if not using the
> default).

Thanks, committed.

> It's merely a suggestion, but shouldn't there be a tool button for the
> index command?

I don't know.  I think it's much less frequently used than the
button-enabled LaTeX, View, BibTeX, and Spell commands, and there's not
too much space for buttons anyway.  (And basically, nobody uses Emacs
with a tool-bar anyway. :-))

At least with the GTK tool-bar, if there are more buttons than there's
space, you get a > symbol you can press to see the others.  But I'm not
sure if that's supported in a similar good way by Xaw, Athena, or
whatever toolkit people build emacs with.  So as long as nobody checks
that, I'd prefer not to overload the tool-bar.