Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:09:54 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mosè,
>
>> I'm sending a patch to wrap dollars around active region typing `$'.
>> This is controlled by a new customizable variable, the default
>> behavior isn't changed, but I had to remove the line
>>   (put 'TeX-insert-dollar 'delete-selection t)
>> from the end of `tex.el'.  Any comments?
>
> Not sure if that's a valuable feature.  At least, it doesn't happen very
> frequently that I write down some formula and forget to enclose it with
> $, but I don't have a strong opinion here.

One use case I have is : I write something like
f(x) = x if x < 10
in a displaymath environment, then I realize I forgot the \text{} macro,
and so I have to wrap x < 10 between dollars in order to get:
f(x) = x \text{if $x < 10$}

(I know that doing \text{if }x < 10 would mostly look the same, but I
can't get my eyes to accept such a thing ; and there are cases where I
can't do it, e.g. using the starred cases* environment of mathtools
which automatically sets the second column in text-style font.)

(As for the double dollars, I have nothing to add.)

--
N.