Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:40:42 -0600

On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> But I object to the 'double value.  The usage of $$...$$ is
>>> discouraged in LaTeX, so we shouldn't propagate it's usage.  And it's
>>> usecase is handled anyway by
>> I agree one shouldn't use $$...$$ in LaTeX but it's used in plain TeX.
>
> Right.  So maybe the value 'double would surround the region with $$ in
> plain-TeX-mode, and with a displaymath environment in latex-mode.  That
> would be fine with me.
>
>>>  1. set the region containing the formula
>>>  2. C-c C-e displaymath RET
>>>
>>> Ok, that's a bit longer than just doing 1 and then $, but really, who
>>> forgets to insert some proper math environment before starting to write
>>> a formula?
>> John has already showed a case of use, the same I was thinking about.
>> If there isn't agreement about this change, it's not a problem for me
>> ;-)
>
> Let's wait a bit more, and if there's a third person that is in favour
> of that feature, just go for it.

FWIW I use a function that

* Wraps the region in $$ if active
* "upgrades" the math environment:
    $$ -> \[\] -> align* -> equation* -> align -> equation -> align*
    (this is obviously very tuned to my personal tastes.  I have wanted to
    wrap around to $$ a few times though instead of back to align*.
    Maybe I'll add that now...)
* if no region and not in a math environment, then inserts $$ with point between

I don't know whether thats an endorsement of this feature or not. :-)

I did find that I definitely liked being able to wrap a region with $$ though,
so I guess I'm +1.

-Ivan