Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 22:02:16 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

2013/6/3 Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>:
> I think it's a good change, but since it's incompatible, users should
> get some warning message.  That is, `TeX-insert-dollar' should check if
> the value is a cons, and if not, issue a warning and treat t as ("$"
> . "$").
Ok, that's simple to do, but since these variables have been introduced
some months after release of last stable version, can't we assume that
people that customized these variables follow AUCTeX development?
Probably they're able to read a git log or at least a log message.
This assumption allows to avoid some tricks to keep backward
compatibility.

> BTW, I don't see why we need 2 variables.  Shouldn't
> `TeX-electric-dollar' with no active region make the behavior you get
> with `TeX-math-close-single-dollar' and the same customization.
Good question.  I've supposed someone can want to use
`TeX-electric-dollar' but not `TeX-math-close-single-dollar' or vice
versa.  I use both, but I don't know what other people prefer.

> And since the variable doesn't deal only with $ but is more flexible
> (good!), it should probably be renamed (maybe
> `TeX-electric-inline-math', and `TeX-insert-inline-math') and aliased
> with `define-obsolete-variable-alias' and
> `define-obsolete-function-alias'.  I've just checked, and XEmacs 21.4
> supports those, too, except for the 3rd and 4th arguments.
Ok, but about keeping compatibility making `TeX-electric-dollar'
obsolete for  see above.