Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hooks for LaTeX-arg-usepackage and TeX-arg-document

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hooks for LaTeX-arg-usepackage and TeX-arg-document
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 08:33:29 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

> the attached patch adds hooks for `LaTeX-arg-usepackage' and
> `TeX-arg-document'.  In this way we can remove babel specific code
> from `LaTeX-arg-usepackage' and add hooks for other packages, if
> needed.  For example, I'm developing a file style for polyglossia
> package and I'd like to add a hook for loading possible polyglossia
> languages style files.  Can I go?

Yes, but see the comments below.

> +(defvar LaTeX-after-document-hooks nil
> +  "List of functions to be run at the end of `TeX-arg-document'.
> +
> +To insert a hook here, you must insert it in the appropiate style file.")

Hook variables are usually called `*-hook' (singular) or `*-functions'.
I think one uses `hook' when it's meant for users to be customized, and
`functions' when it's more some internal implementation detail.  IMO,
here it's the latter, so I'd go with `TeX-arg-document-functions' (TeX
instead of LaTeX to match the corresponding function).

> +(defvar LaTeX-after-usepackage-hooks nil
> +  "List of functions to be run at the end of `LaTeX-arg-usepackage'.
> +
> +To insert a hook here, you must insert it in the appropiate style file.")

Here I'd use `LaTeX-arg-usepackage-functions'.