[AUCTeX-devel] Regarding 1.2.7 Installation under MS Windows

From: James Yifan.Xu
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Regarding 1.2.7 Installation under MS Windows
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 23:37:13 -0400

Dear developers,

First of all, thank you very much for all the work you have done. I am very grateful for the free software, packages.and instructions. I see that you put much effort to make it accessible for everyone.

I am a biostatistician. I have been programming in R, and writing Latex for 5 years. Recently I started to use Emacs (with ESS & Auctex) on my Mac and I loved it. However when I try to install it on my Windows 7 all kinds of trouble occurred.

I have been reading the installation procedure of Auctex for Emacs.
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Installation-under-MS-Windows.html#Installation-under-MS-Windows

As a windows user who knows less than 5 commands in Linux, I have to say that I find the page very intimidating. For example, I don't understand

"you can do this by typing the following statement at the shell prompt:

./configure --prefix='C:/Program Files/Emacs' \
  --infodir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/info' \
  --with-texmf-dir='C:/localtexmf'
"
or
" If there were no further error messages, type

make
"

I am not sure what a "shell prompt" is or where to "type" the word "make". I am more used to giving orders by clicking mouse buttons. I admit I should probably learn more background in order to understand the page, but is there anyway that I can configure it without learning another operating system? I just want to get it to work during the weekend.

Thank you very much for your time!

Best regards,

James