[AUCTeX-devel] Make DVI forward/inverse search work

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Make DVI forward/inverse search work
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 02:25:18 +0200

Hi all,

some weeks ago I said that I wasn't able to use DVI forward/inverse
search using Okular.  Today I noticed that DVI forward/inverse doesn't
work with xdvi and Evince either.  On TeX Live
`TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' returns synctex, but those
viewers can't do DVI forward/inverse search with synctex.

The definition of `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' is
technically correct, but it doesn't take into account viewers
capabilities.  Since source specials can be used only with a DVI
output and synctex practically works only with PDF (at least using
mentioned DVI viewers, cannot test with Windows or Mac OS viewers), I
suggest to change the definition of that function to
    (if TeX-PDF-mode 'synctex 'source-specials)
Do you have better ideas?  Can someone please test DVI forward/inverse
search using synctex on Windows or Mac OS?

In addition, `TeX-source-correlate-method-active' variable is set when
`TeX-source-correlate-mode' is activated, but `TeX-PDF-mode' can be
switched on/off also when `TeX-source-correlate-mode' is already
active.  I suggest to convert this variable to a function.

The attached patch addresses all above problems.  Objections against
installing it?