Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make DVI forward/inverse search work

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Make DVI forward/inverse search work
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 09:36:40 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

> some weeks ago I said that I wasn't able to use DVI forward/inverse
> search using Okular.  Today I noticed that DVI forward/inverse doesn't
> work with xdvi and Evince either.

I just tested using TeXLive 2012, and in fact it doesn't work with xdvi,
but it works just fine with evince 3.8.2.  That is, I disable
`TeX-PDF-mode', compile a doc to DVI, then

  C-c C-c View RET TeX-evince-sync-view RET

fires up evince with the dvi file.

Then Ctrl-click in the DVI makes point move to that location, and
another

  C-c C-c View RET TeX-evince-sync-view RET

centers that line in Evince again.

> On TeX Live `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' returns synctex,
> but those viewers can't do DVI forward/inverse search with synctex.

As said, evince does.

> The definition of `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' is
> technically correct, but it doesn't take into account viewers
> capabilities.

I don't think we should try encoding viewer capabilities.  IMO, it's
easy enough to set the correct method for whatever combination of output
and viewer people are using.

> Since source specials can be used only with a DVI output and synctex
> practically works only with PDF

No, synctex should work also with plain latex.

> The attached patch addresses all above problems.  Objections against
> installing it?

Since it works for me, yes. :-)