Re: [AUCTeX-devel] default tabular environment

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] default tabular environment
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 08:45:18 +0200

Mads Jensen <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mads,

> Personally I've always been a bit annoyed that tabular is inserted
> when you insert a table-environment. In most cases, I want it changed
> it tabularx which requires inserting a width argument before the
> layout.
>
> I propose that it should be customized so if someone wants tabulary,
> tabularx, longtable (not sure if this is possible along with table) or
> something else, it should be made so.

Currently, tabular is hard-coded in `LaTeX-env-figure' (which is
responsible also for table).

I've added a new variable `LaTeX-default-tabular-environment' with
default value "tabular".  Now the tabularx style sets that to "tabularx"
on activation.  So when you \usepackage{tabularx}, inserting a table
will add a tabularx.

I don't use tabulary.  If you use it, could you please provide a style
file for it?  I guess it should be pretty similar to that of tabularx.

I think longtables aren't usually wrapped in a table environment.  At
least they have their own caption already.