Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:29:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'd be OK with splitting auctex into 2 packages, but does
>>> preview-latex work without auctex?
>> No.  It would be nice to factor out some of its quite sophisticated
>> functionality into something independent from AUCTeX, LaTeX and in fact
>> also TeX, but at the current point of time preview-latex is not
>> independently useful.
>
> I'm not sure you're answering my question, so let me rephrase it: does
> it work with tex-mode.el?

The answer remains "No".  "Independent from AUCTeX, LaTeX and in fact
also TeX" is a graded answer.  As preview-latex is not independently
useful without AUCTeX, it does not work with tex-mode.el.  tex-mode.el
would probably be low-hanging fruit as adapting preview-latex would
basically require finding/abstracting a common process/commandline model
for both AUCTeX and tex-mode.el.

But so far nobody hated AUCTeX enough to find that worth the trouble...

--
David Kastrup