Re: [AUCTeX-devel] a LaTeX-env-usepackage environment

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] a LaTeX-env-usepackage environment
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:26:25 +0100

Carlos <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Carlos,

> in LaTex-add-environments, then not only the usepackage would be bound
> to the same keys, that is, C-c C-e, but each package would be
> individually selected. Not only that, but you have the options readily
> available.
>
> For example, I just created a new document. Then C-c C-e takes me to
> Environment type: (default document) which is followed by Document
> class: (default article), which further invokes the Options for said
> article. Then it applies the hooks, while at the same time, places
> the pointer in between \begin{document} and \end{document}, which is
> expected as well.
>
> The only thing you would have to do, is go back two lines, or to be
> exact, one line above\begin{document}, which is expected too, since you
> have to place \usepackage in the preamble of the document, and invoke
> C-c C-e again.
>
> The next C-c C-e brings Environment type (default itemize), since it
> is the default as an environment, so by just selecting usepackage,
> which in return, will give you the options for the packages, and
> you'll have the list. Either for the options of the package, and if
> you do not specify an option, then each package will be, like I said,
> individually selected.

I really don't see how that's different from doing C-c C-e for inserting
the document environment with its \documentclass, followed by C-c RET
for inserting \usepackages.  Well, of course except that C-c RET is not
C-c C-e, of course.

And other than that, C-c C-e is for inserting environments, and
\usepackage is no environment, so even if it was convenient, it would
still be somehow wrong and astonishing.