Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Default settings

From: Florêncio Neves
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Default settings
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:40:38 -0400

On 3/17/14, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> "Mos" == Mos  <Mos> writes:
>
> Hi to both
>    > 2014-03-16 18:06 GMT+01:00 Florêncio Neves <address@hidden>:
>    >> There are quite a few settings in AUCTeX that one needs to discover
>    >> and customize before getting a reasonable environment.
>
>    > I agree.
>
>    >> I think the
>
>    > I  definitely second enabling `TeX-PDF-mode', I believe few people
>    > still use DVI nowadays.
>
> I beg to differ. Although I use pdf mode most of the time, inverse
> search does not work well in older settings (Kubuntu 10.04 with an old
> xpdf, really did not work that well) so for that purpose I directly
> compile to dvi. The same holds for source specials: they result in
> slightly different dvi(pdf) and that is why I would turn it off per
> default.

Well, people using and old TeX distribuition or document viewer will
probably have and old Emacs and AUCTeX installed via their package
manager, so I don't see any problem in making future versions of
AUCTeX more user-friendly.  Note also that quite a few things don't
work well in the DVI file, too (I believe many tikz pictures will not
display correctly in the DVI file).

OK, source specials should never be on by default, but SyncTeX should
be on by default if available.

>   Regarding forward/inverse
>
>    > search, Kile, Texmaker, TeXstudio, and TeXworks (these are the editors
>    > I have installed) all enable it by default, so why not?  RefTeX is
>    > builtin in GNU Emacs but I don't know what's the situation in XEmacs.
>

> Reftex is in the Xemacs package system I bit outdated but it works, so
> turning it on per default is a good idea.
>
>    >> Also, dollar signs should automatically become electric if
>    >> `electric-pair-mode' is active (I think currently one has set
>    >> TeX-electric-math manually).
>
>    > I like electricity, but I have no strong opinion here.
>
> I use Carsten Dominik cdlatex package (still very recommendable) which
> does this in a nice way, so I think electricity should no be on per
> default.
>
>    > Actually I've never set `TeX-master' to `dwim' because it isn't
>    > documented in the manual.
>
> Nor do I.
>

> What's about
>
> (setq TeX-show-compilation t)
>
> This is a feature I can live without.

I think the compilation log is only meaningful for TeX experts, it
might be confusing or irritating for most people.