Re: [AUCTeX-devel] 11.87, some progress, problems with synctex and forwa

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] 11.87, some progress, problems with synctex and forward pdf search
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:33:19 +0200

Hi Tassilo & Uwe,

> Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Uwe & Mosè,
>
>> I mean the patch in the link below (and your answer in that
>> thread). This is a year ago.
>>
>> That's because xdvi and most other DVI viewers don't support SyncTeX,
>> see also this discussion:
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.devel/3164
>
> Ah, I see.  Ok Mosè, it seems we discussed without coming to some
> decision back then.  Please go ahead and install you patch so that by
> default source specials are used when compiling with plain latex to DVI.
> (We probably should also document how that can be overridden, cause as
> said, at least Evince can do forward/backward search with SyncTeX also
> when compiling to DVI.)

We could add another possible value for the
`TeX-source-correlate-method' option: an alist of the kind
    ((dvi . <source-specials or synctex>)
     (pdf . <source-specials or synctex>))
so one can tell AUCTeX to use SyncTeX in PDF mode and source specials
with DVI output.  This possibility should be documented because most
users (i.e., all those not using Evince) will want it.  In addition, a
Lisp hacker is able to set the correlation method depending on the
chosen viewer (useful when writing multi-system init files).  The
change to `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' wouldn't be
necessary anymore.  What do you think?

For the record, now I have Evince 3.12 and I can confirm
SyncTeX-powered forward/inverse search does work also with DVI output
;-)