Re: [AUCTeX-devel] 11.87, some progress, problems with synctex and forwa

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] 11.87, some progress, problems with synctex and forward pdf search
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 22:43:09 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

>> We could add another possible value for the
>> `TeX-source-correlate-method' option: an alist of the kind
>>     ((dvi . <source-specials or synctex>)
>>      (pdf . <source-specials or synctex>))
>> so one can tell AUCTeX to use SyncTeX in PDF mode and source specials
>> with DVI output.  This possibility should be documented because most
>> users (i.e., all those not using Evince) will want it.  In addition, a
>> Lisp hacker is able to set the correlation method depending on the
>> chosen viewer (useful when writing multi-system init files).  The
>> change to `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' wouldn't be
>> necessary anymore.  What do you think?
>
> That's a good idea.  But what would the value `auto' do then when
> compiling to DVI, source-specials or synctex?  I'd probably suggest
> source-specials since that's the safe bet for all users that don't use a
> pretty recent evince.

My idea is as follows:
- convert `TeX-source-correlate-method-active' into a function;
- leave `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' as it is now, at least
I don't think it will be necessary to change it as I proposed last
year;
- add the alist above to the possible values of `TeX-source-correlate-method';
- adapt `TeX-source-correlate-mode'.

But a patch is worth a thousand words, see the one attached.

I believe a safe default for `TeX-source-correlate-method' would be
    '((dvi . source-specials) (pdf . synctex))
which is compatible with most viewers, instead of the current 'auto.