Re: [AUCTeX-devel] auctex pkg uptodate?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] auctex pkg uptodate?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:59:08 +0200

   > Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
   > Hi!

   > I guess he asks if the release tarball for 11.87 corresponds to the
   > current ELPA release 11.87.5.

Precisely.

   > The answer is no. The ELPA version is more current with several
   > fixes that the 11.87 still has (but it's still nearer to 11.87 than
   > to the Git HEAD). The reason is that it's trivial to roll a new
   > ELPA release while regular releases require much more effort.

Oh this is not good. What are the differences? For example is Moses
excellent patch concerning inverse-forward search in git head and/or ELPA?

   > So at the current point in time, I'd recommend to either use the Git
   > HEAD or the ELPA release.

I cannot use ELPA for xemacs :'(.

The reason why I am asking this, is the fact that I am now convinced
that 11.87 has some important improvement over 11.84 and therefore I[1]
would like to release an official version of its corresponding xemacs
pkg (that is the Xemacs's more than a decade old counterpart of EPLA).[2]

In order to do so, I would rather not base it on the version found on
the webpage, but instead I really would like to include at least Moses
patch. About the other enhancements I cannot judge since I did not try
them out so I would rather stay away from the git version.

Then we have floating around various version:

    -  the official tar.gz and pkg.tar.gz on the web site.

    -  the EPLA/GIT version (not sure I understand whether they are
       equal or not)

    -  the official xemacs pkg.

Is this desirable? Are there alternatives? For example to base everything
on the git version?

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  as you maybe now I am the package manager for the Xemacs pkg

[2]  and it is not possible to use the pkg of auctex webpage, the
     official  has a slightly  different structure.