Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:26:22 +0200

Hi Uwe,

> Hello
>
> I managed to use the newest git version (compiling to a pkg) under
> Xemacs 21.5.33.
>
> So far I have only found one problem.
>
>     -  in the 11.87 version which I use, together with Moses patch:
>
> Using latex+xdvi, correlation mode enabled
> latex runs with -source-specials and everything is fine.

How come AUCTeX runs `latex -source-specials'?  Which is your value
for `TeX-source-correlate-method'?  If it's `auto', which TeX
distribution are you using?

> Using pdflatex+okular [1]. Pdflatex uses synctex and everything is fine.
>
>     -  however in the git version
>
> Using latex+xdvi, correlation mode enabled
> latex runs with -synctex and this does not work with xdvi.
>
> So either Moses patch was not applied to git, or I have to change my
> setting compared to the one I use for 11.87. (This is what I mean with
> backward compatibility).

If you set `TeX-source-correlate-method' to `auto' also in git
version, nothing should be changed.

"Backward compatibility" is when old syntax is valid in newer versions
of a software, "forward compatibility" is when new syntax is valid in
old versions of a software.  In git version we added a new possible
value to `TeX-source-correlate-method', breaking forward
compatibility, but other "old" possible values of that variable are
still treated in the same way they were, so backward compatibility is
preserved ;-)

> Footnotes:
> [1]  (BTW inverse+forward search does not work with
> xpdf??? right)

Forward search works for me, for enabling inverse search take a look
at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TN#toc12