Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Xemacs+newest git version:
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:41:15 +0200

>>> "Mos" == Mos  <Mos> writes:
>
>    > Hi Uwe,
>    > 2014-07-20 11:03 GMT+02:00 Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>:
>    >> Hello
>    >>
>    >> Using latex+xdvi, correlation mode enabled
>    >> latex runs with -source-specials and everything is fine.
>
>    > How come AUCTeX runs `latex -source-specials'?  Which is your value
>    > for `TeX-source-correlate-method'?  If it's `auto', which TeX
>    > distribution are you using?
>

> Is is set to `auto'.
>
> I am using texlive (2009 since I am still on Kubuntu 10.04)
> but I insist with my personal  setting unchanged and your patch applied to
> 11.87
> auctex uses -source-specials for latex

I insist I can't understand why your AUCTeX runs `latex
-source-specials' for you.  Just tested on a machine with Trisquel
4.1:
$ latex -v
pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.10-2.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
[...]

$ latex --help
[...]
-synctex=NUMBER         generate SyncTeX data for previewers if nonzero
[...]

`TeX-source-correlate-method' set to `auto' let
`TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' choose the right method and
this function, unchanged since 2012-08-14 (checked with git blame),
just verify whether `latex --help' output has a `-synctex' entry or
not.  We have the same version of TeX Live, why
`TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' should return different
methods?  Are you really sure `M-:
(TeX-source-correlate-determine-method) RET' returns `source-specials'
for you, in DVI mode?

>    >> So either Moses patch was not applied to git, or I have to change my
>    >> setting compared to the one I use for 11.87. (This is what I mean with
>    >> backward compatibility).
>
>    > If you set `TeX-source-correlate-method' to `auto' also in git
>    > version, nothing should be changed.
>
> But it is :'(

I just (re-)checked: setting `TeX-source-correlate-method' to `auto'
gives the same result as before (in my case I get `synctex' in both
DVI and PDF mode).  Anyway, in git version of the AUCTeX package the
easiest thing you can do is to leave the default value of
`TeX-source-correlate-method' unchanged:
    '((dvi . source-specials) (pdf . synctex))
This will make AUCTeX use source specials in DVI mode and SyncTeX in PDF mode.

>    >  "forward compatibility" is when new syntax is valid in
>    > old versions of a software.  In git version we added a new possible
>    > value to `TeX-source-correlate-method', breaking forward
>    > compatibility, but other "old" possible values of that variable are
>    > still treated in the same way they were, so backward compatibility is
>    > preserved ;-)
>
> But again: it is not preserved. With setting to auto now auctex uses
> synctex instead of source specials.

I insist, it should have been preserved :-)

Do you customize `TeX-source-correlate-method' in your init file?  If
you leave the default value in both AUCTeX 11.87 and git version, you
should get the desired result.