Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Manage auto insertion of labels

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Manage auto insertion of labels
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:56:20 +0200

Hi Uwe,

>>> "Mos" == Mos  <Mos> writes:
> Hi,
>

>    > Hi list,
>    > `LaTeX-label' function always inserts labels, but I don't like this
>    > behavior since I want to automatically add labels for some but not all
>    > environments.
>
> Now I am curious. I insert a numerate environment if I want to refer to
> and therefore I insert a label. What is the benefit of not having a
> label.

The benefit is not being prompted for *every* possible label.  I
prefer numbered equation to unnumbered ones, even if I won't reference
them, but I don't want to label each "equation" environment.

> Moreover I use reftex widely, with the setting
>
> (setq reftex-insert-label-flags '("s" nil))
>
> (setq reftex-label-alist
>                 '(("equation"  ?e "eq:%f:" "~(\\ref{%s})" t
>
> Then reftex excellent navigation never let me down and I easily insert
> the reference I want even in long documents. That is why I want to know
> why you dislike to insert a label, especially given that you can use
> displaymath instead of equations for example.

I use and love RefTeX too, but I don't like its numerical style for
equation labels, I prefer meaningful labels, as it's the case for
section labels.  It seems there are other people disliking environment
label prompts [1], and a clean built-in way to disable label prompts
at request is much better than redefining `LaTeX-label' to do nothing
;-)

Anyway the default behavior of being always prompted for a label has
been preserved, so nothing changes for users if they don't customize
`LaTeX-insert-label' :-)

[1] http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/194012/31416