Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Manage auto insertion of labels

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Manage auto insertion of labels
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:45:50 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mosè,
>
>>> You mean, if the environment or sectioning command is not in
>>> `LaTeX-label-alist' or `LaTeX-section-label', then no label will be
>>> prompted?
>>
>> Exactly!
>>
>>> That might be an idea...
>>
>> The attached patch is more or a less a re-ordering of the original
>> `LaTeX-label': the prefix is calculated at the beginning of the
>> function and if it's non nil the label is inserted, with RefTeX or
>> AUCTeX built-in mechanism.  The second argument of `LaTeX-label' makes
>> it possible to have different rules for environments and sections with
>> the same name.
>
> Looks good to me.  But there's one thing I'm not sure.  Styles like
> amsmath.el add environments to `LaTeX-label-alist', so what should a
> user do, e.g., to tell auctex that she doen't want labels for align
> environments?

Indeed I'm not convinced that style files should change the value of
customizable variables.

> AFAICS, she would need to create an own amsmath.el style file in
> `TeX-style-private' which removes the "align" entry from
> `LaTeX-label-alist'.  Could you please check if that works, and if so,
> document it.  (Or if there is a better way, that's also fine).

In the patch I submitted, the amsmath and longtable environments are
appended to `LaTeX-label-alist', instead of being prepended as they
were before, so a user can add a
    ("align" . nil)
entry in `LaTeX-label-alist' and it won't be overridden by amsmath.el.
Actually, I believe the best way would be to add amsmath and longtable
environments to default `LaTeX-label-alist' in latex.el.