Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Plan for a new release? [Was: preview.sty included in

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Plan for a new release? [Was: preview.sty included in GNU ELPA problematic]
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 19:43:45 +0200

* Mosè Giordano (2014-09-02) writes:

>> Hm, I haven't had trouble with the command and I've been using Debian
>> all along.  But perhaps they changed the default shell since the last
>> AUCTeX release?  Did the command fail in your case?
>
> Yes, the release-sign rule fails for me unless I set the shell to
> /bin/bash in the command line.  The dash has been being the default
> /bin/sh for Ubuntu since 2006 and for Debian since 2011.

Okay, I've experimented a bit and it fails for me, too.  No idea what
the best solution would be.  I'd feel a bit uneasy about changing the
shell to bash (even though the Makefile in Emacs does this as well)
because I'm not sure it would be available everywhere, especially on
Windows systems.  Also, the make manual suggests to use /bin/sh, see
<URL:https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Utilities-in-Makefiles.html>.
It also suggests not to code for bash which we already failed to do. (c:

Anyways, either we change the code or we just live with having to set
the shell before executing the target for signing the files.  I'd
probably do the latter because I think it's good not having the password
echoed.  We could add a hint for that to the release recipe.