Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Need help installing Auctex

From: Matthew Vincent
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Need help installing Auctex
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:42:28 -0500

I have emacs 24.3.1 from a colleague that introduced me to the program. He has a bunch of specialized things in the .emacs file that I use and I don't know enough about emacs yet to try to switch to a new version. I was able to get it to work this morning by using M-x package-list-packages command. I did receive a bunch of warnings, the final one being "In end of data:
xspace.el:54:1:Warning: the function `font-latex-add-keywords' is not known to
    be defined.
Error: Selecting deleted buffer"

I assumed that I had not worked but checked to see if it had by opening a new .tex file and was surprised that it did. I had done the same thing last night and it didn't seem to change anything. It may be possible that I had an issue because I had a previously opened .tex file last night, but not this morning. Attached is the log file that I received.
It might be helpful to note that warnings are not necessarily a sign that autex has not installed for people that are new to emacs.

Thank You
Matt Vincent

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Matthew,

> I forgot to mention that I also attempted to install AUCTeX through using
> the M-x package-list-packages command in emacs. This resulted in a large
> list of errors which I assumed were a known issue. If you would like to see
> the list of errors let me know and I can provide them.

Well, no, it isn't a known issue, there should be (many) warnings but
no errors.  The compile log you get would be useful.

Which version of Emacs are you using?  If you have GNU Emacs 24.4
check http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html
out, there you can download the pre-built package for Windows and
install it following the instructions provided.