Re: [AUCTeX-devel] GNU emacs: 24.4.1 auctex 11.88: installation problem:

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] GNU emacs: 24.4.1 auctex 11.88: installation problem: style files
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 15:21:46 +0100

> Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> When all else fails, read the instructions.  I quote from INSTALL:

> 6 Installation for non-privileged users
> ***************************************

>    The main expedient is using the `--prefix' option to the `configure'
> script, and let it point to the personal home directory.  In that way,
> resulting binaries will be installed under the `bin' subdirectory of
> your home directory, manual pages under `man' and so on.  It is
> reasonably easy to maintain a bunch of personal software, since the
> prefix argument is supported by most `configure' scripts.

>    You'll have to add something like
> `/home/myself/share/emacs/site-lisp' to your `load-path' variable, if
> it isn't there already.

I have the following paths set

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/site-lisp") load-path))
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/site-lisp/packages")
load-path))
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name
"~/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-11.88")  load-path))
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name
"~/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-11.88/auctex")  load-path))

> *********************

> You can detect the successful activation of AUCTeX and preview-latex in
> the menus after loading a LaTeX file like `preview/circ.tex': AUCTeX
> then gives you a `Command' menu, and preview-latex gives you a
> `Preview' menu.

This *works*!

I can compile latex and use preview.

What does not work is the functionality provided by the files to be
found in the *style* directory. I can load these files *manually* and
then everything works as expected.

But I cannot get them to work *automatically*. If I set a path to the
directory where these files dwell, then I obtain an error on start-up I
described earlier.