Re: [AUCTeX-devel] GNU emacs: 24.4.1 auctex 11.88: installation problem:

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] GNU emacs: 24.4.1 auctex 11.88: installation problem: style files
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:19:09 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think that we have installation instructions telling you not to
>> run "make install".  Did you take a look at the installation
>> instructions?  They are in the manual and should also be available as a
>> separate text file called INSTALL.
>
> Obviously not carefully enough, I also thought that I could do the same
> as I do with gnus and org mode, compile the el files and then set the
> relevant paths, however that does not work with auctex.
>
> However I am puzzled, since I do not really understand the different
> between
>
> -with-packagelispdir=‘auctex’  (should that  really  be *literally*
> auctex)
>
> And
>
> --with-lispdir=/dir

So let's see what INSTALL has to say about them:

`--with-lispdir=/DIR'
     This Emacs-only option specifies the location of the `site-lisp'
     directory within `load-path' under which the files will get
     installed (the bulk will get installed in a subdirectory).
     `./configure' should figure this out by itself.

`--with-auctexstartfile=`auctex.el''
`--with-previewstartfile=`preview-latex.el''
     This is the name of the respective startup files.  If LISPDIR
     contains a subdirectory `site-start.d', the start files are placed
     there, and `site-start.el' should load them automatically.  Please
     be aware that you must not move the start files after installation
     since other files are found _relative_ to them.

`--with-packagelispdir=`auctex''
     This is the directory where the bulk of the package gets located.
     The startfile adds this into LOAD-PATH.

So you need to have lispdir in your load-path.  *That's* *all*.  The
"start files" (which have sensible default names) will be put there.
You *load* them in your .emacs file or similar, and *they* are
responsible for putting up load paths and autoloads for the files that
are, by and large, placed into packagelispdir which defaults to being
the subdirectory "auctex" in your lispdir.

--
David Kastrup