Re: [AUCTeX-devel] progress

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] progress
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:00:15 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > In addition, where did you put that bidibeamer.el style file?  It
>    > should
>
> Right next to where beamer.el dwells, in the same directory.

Ok, that's `TeX-style-global' then.  So the reason it doesn't work is
probably because styles don't work at all for you as you've said in some
previous mail.  Well, and there the reason is that you don't "make
install" and thus auctex doesn't find the style files.

Running AUCTeX from an unzipped release tarball without "make install"
is generally unsupported, otherwise the docs would tell you how to do
that.  That said, *I* run AUCTeX from a git checkout directory without
installing it, too.  Therefore, I just run "./autogen.sh && ./configure
&& make", and then have

(setq TeX-data-directory "~/Repos/el/auctex"
      TeX-lisp-directory TeX-data-directory)

(load "~/Repos/el/auctex/auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "~/Repos/el/auctex/preview-latex.el" nil t t)

(add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list "~/Repos/el/auctex/doc")

in my ~/.emacs.  Note that that won't work with the 11.88 release
because in that, preview resides in its own subdirectory whereas it's in
the auctex top-level directory now.

So the best advice I can give you in case you don't want to install
auctex system-wide (or fiddle around with configure options) is to use
the ELPA package.  This has the additional benefit that it's much more
current than the 11.88 release and is supposed to just work.

,----[ (info "(auctex)Installation") ]
| The simplest way of installing AUCTeX is by using the Emacs package
| manager integrated in Emacs 24 and greater (ELPA).  Simply do 'M-x
| package-list-packages RET', mark the auctex package for installation
| with 'i', and hit 'x' to execute the installation procedure.  That's
| all.
`----

Then you don't need to fiddle with `load-path',
`Info-additional-directory-list', you don't need to manually load
auctex.el and preview-latex.el, etc.  It's exactly what any plain user
wants.  Really, there's no good reason to use the release tarball unless
you are a sysadmin and want to provide auctex for all users of the
system, or you are a packager and want to create an auctex package for
your distro.