Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [culprit]

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [culprit]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:51:07 +0100

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> and since `pushnew' is a macro, there shouldn't be any reference to
>> in the compiled code anymore.
>
> In my byte-compiled tex.elc I have, at line 352,
>
>     (lambda (file) (when file (pushnew file path)))
>
> Actually this is the only reference to `pushnew' even if it's used
> elsewhere in tex.el.  Is there something wrong on my side?

No, I have the same here.  It seems the cause is that pushnew is used in
the init-form of a defcustom.  I can reproduce that also with a minimal
example:

(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))

(defun foo-function ()
  (let (l)
    (pushnew 1 l)
    l))

(defvar foo-variable (let (l)
                       (pushnew 1 l)
                       l)
  "var docstring")

(defcustom foo-custom (let (l)
                        (pushnew 1 l)
                        l)
  "custom docstring")

When compiling that, all pushnew occurences except for the one in
foo-custom are eliminated.  When I compile with XEmacs, the behavior is
the same.

I've replaced the pushnew call by its expansion.