Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for expl3

From: Sean Allred
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for expl3
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 22:20:57 -0500

Thanks for everything so far, guys. Simply being able to correctly jump around
by token is a great help :)

Building off of what was provided here, I’ve taken the liberty of adding some
font-locking with the help of the awesome folks over at Emacs.SE. I’ve attached
an ‘updated’ expl3.el to this email (I can’t get git-diff to cooperate, for
some reason). I abstracted the anonymous hook-function into a named function
(that’s still added as a hook). In this function, I’ve added font-locking for
regular expression variables I set just above it.

I would welcome any feedback / suggestions as I hope to have this included in
the official distribution.

However, I worry that a simple style file might not be enough for no-joking
expl3 editing support: In addition to a different highlighting scheme, there is
at least one input difference that causes concern. The way to input a literal
space in expl3 is to use `~` – in the past, I’ve used my own poor-man’s minor
mode to control whether SPC inserts a space or a tilde. (When writing error
messages, you like to include as many helpful words as you can – all of these
words are separated by these literal spaces (~).) Gets a little tedious with
the shift key and all (on US-English keyboards).

There may very well be those actually on the project who disagree with me (and
I’ve raised the question in the TeX StackExchange chatroom [1]), but I think it
may be appropriate to add expl3 as a separate TeX dialect. In an ideal world,
no expl3 code will appear in LaTeX documents – it should be gathered together
in its own file. Would a patch to remove the style file and use dialects be
welcome? (I haven’t ever messed with different dialects in AUCTeX, but I’m
willing to learn.)

Best,
Sean

[1]: http://chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/message/20891531#20891531