Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hello and a question about missing AUCTeX features

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Hello and a question about missing AUCTeX features
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:33:04 -0400

Hi Marcin.

Marcin Borkowski writes:

(i) why is FSF so secretive about the copyright papers, that they are not available on the Internet?

They are different for every person depending on the circumstances (for example, your current employment policies). They will ask you a couple of questions via email before sending you the draft of the document, also via email.

(ii) what are the exact consequences of signing the papers, and is it possible to withdraw the agreement for the FSF to have copyright on things I write (excluding, of course, things written/given away before said withdrawal)?

Why don't you ask for the papers, read them and decide if you want to sign them or not?

I signed mine for emacs and AUCTeX recently. Pretty much all they say is that you give copyright for your past and future contributions TO THE SPECIFIC SOFTWARE (for example, AUCTeX) to the FSF. It doesn't cover anything beyond that specific software.

(iii) why is "promoting proprietary software" not tolerated (and actively fought against) on FSF's MLs, and /at the same time/ hostility against people writing (in good faith, as I believe) about their "non-free" projects (related to the "free" software discussed on that ML!) is tolerated (and maybe even encouraged)?

Even when I do not understand what "non-free" projects you think are encouraged in FSF lists, this question is very philosophical, it only reflects on the average behavior of users of the lists, and it is not relevant to the issue of you asking for the FSF copyright papers.

Related to email lists of FSF projects, this list is one of the nicest ones that I am subscribed to. If Marcin would have posted this message in gmane.emacs.orgmode and even more in gmane.emacs.help, I am sure he would have gotten more nasty replies. People here are really helpful and nice. So thank you all for that!

Best,
--
Jorge.