Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problem with formatting and marking in auctex 11.88

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problem with formatting and marking in auctex 11.88
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:47:46 +0200

Ikumi Keita <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ikumi,

> I hope the attached patch #1 recovers the compatibility of
> TeX-activate-region for old emacsens.  I checked it against emacs
> 21.4, 22.3 and 23.4.  They all exhibit no error when I mark
> environment and section with the respective entries in the menu "LaTeX
> -> Formatting and Marking".

Great, thank you!  I've applied the change to the current git master.

> However, I have some remarks about emacs 21 compatibility.  It seems
> that the current git code has many emacs 21 incompatibilities.  I need
> the attached patch #2 just in order for "make" to complete.  In
> addition, that only enables emacs 21 to open latex file and to mark
> environments and sections.  I.e. when I issue C-c C-c RET to typeset
> circ.tex on emacs 21, a lot of errors come from process filter,
> saying: error in process filter: Symbol's function definition is void:
> memql error in process filter: TeX-format-filter: Symbol's function
> definition is void: memql

IMO, it's about time to increment the supported emacs versions to 22 and
above.  I think emacs 22 might still be widely used because that ships
with Mac OS X but at least all GNU/Linux distros I know ship at least
some Emacs 23 version.  And on Windows where the user has to retrieve
and install Emacs on his own, there is also no reason to stick to 21.