Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule on Mac, xdvi

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problems with Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule on Mac, xdvi
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:10:59 -0600

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:

>    > Hi Uwe,
>    > 2015-06-10 8:41 GMT+02:00 Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>:
>
>    > Well, AUCTeX (actually *Emacs) expects a program to be in a PATH
>    > directory, not necessarily /usr/bin.  If /usr/texbin is not in the
>    > PATH, AUCTeX cannot find xdvi, did you expect something else?
>
> Hm that is odd.
> I thought that somewhere deep in the auctex code there are standards
> path set like /usr/bin  /usr/local/bin etc (however I could not find
> such setting) so basically you say (X)Emacs wants the executables like
> xdvi in any PATH whatsoever.
>
> I confess the laptop with MaC OS is not mine, but I suspect the tex
> installation to be a MaC OS specific one and not texlive.

It's probably MacTeX which is a Mac-specific version of TeX Live.

> But what  I don't understand is the following.
> If I do
>
>  «which xdvi» in the terminal application of the Mac (which I think is a
>  bash shell) and it returns
>
>  /usr/texbin/xdvi
>
> Isn't (X)Emacs supposed to find this executable?

Unfortunately, setting environment variables on a Mac is non-trivial,
probably because most GUI apps don't need any special environment.
See any of the many questions on stack overflow. e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7501678/set-environment-variables-on-mac-os-x-lion

FWIW I call `launchctl setenv ...` in my .bashrc for certain variables
if their value doesn't match what I see from `launchctl getenv ...`

-Ivan