Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): do

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): don't display _ or ^
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 07:24:33 +0000

> Speaking for myself, I don't like code disappearing.  Instead I like
> AUCTeX' approach: {sub,super}scripts are rendered as such but "^" and
> "_" (and braces) are still there.

Usually I agree, but in this specific case, I prefer to not see "^" and "_".

> I thought that adding another
> `substitute-patterns-with-unicode-symbol' would have overridden the
> one in `latex-unicode-simplified', but it doesn't seem to be the case.
> Then, redefining `latex-unicode-simplified' seems to be the way to go.

> Why?  I'm not a hardcore TeX-fold-mode user, actually I seldom use it,
> I don't know why you say you have to do that.

Here is the scenario:
\begin{equation}
\label{eq:new:1}
\int f(x)dx =0
\end{equation}

Now TeX-fold-buffer gives:
\begin{equation}
[l]
∫ f(x)dx =0
\end{equation}

So the integral is represented by its unicode symbol.
Now I modify the equation

\begin{equation}
[l]
∫ f(x)dx = \sum_{j=1}^{\infty}
\end{equation}

Sum is NOT represented this way, however when I run
TeX-fold-clearout-buffer, and then again TeX-fold buffer I obtain:

\begin{equation}
[l]
\end{equation}

Can you reproduce this behavior? Don't you think that it is
inconvenient?

Uwe