Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): do

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): don't display _ or ^
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:06:35 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>> Just for the record: I've just added `prettify-symbols-mode' support for
>> (La)TeX to Emacs' built-in tex-mode.el.  If you run a very, very recent
>> emacs, you could activate that in AUCTeX using
>>
>>   (setq-local prettify-symbols-alist tex--prettify-symbols-alist)
>>   (add-function :override (local 'prettify-symbols-compose-predicate)
>>                 #'tex--prettify-symbols-compose-p)
>
> I downloaded and compiled emacs-git and auctex-git. however when I use
> your setting I receive an error which I attach.
>
> On the other side, just turning prettify-symbols-mode on, does
> precisely what you said. So I am a bit confused.

Ah, sorry.  You don't need to do the above anymore because AUCTeX does
it already for you.  It seems you have tried to execute the above code
before AUCTeX and tex-mode.el have been loaded.

So basically, with AUCTeX from git or 11.88.8 from ELPA,
`prettify-symbols-mode' should just work without anything for users to
do except for enabling the mode manually or in LaTeX-mode-hook.