[AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] How to check whether makeindex should be rerun?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 18:28:42 +0200

Hi all,

differently from what it's said in section 1.3.2.1 of the manual,
AUCTeX never suggests to run makeindex when needed.  Does someone know
how can we check whether we need to run makeindex?  The .idx file is
rewritten after every latex run, so it's useless to look to its
modification time, and no warning is emitted by the compiler.

A possibility is to store the md5 hash of the .idx file and check
whehter it's changed after running latex.  md5 is pretty fast compared
to other algorithms and I don't think this feature is security-wise.
If I recall correctly, latexmk does the same check.