Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [RFC] parsing \jobname in LaTeX files?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [RFC] parsing \jobname in LaTeX files?
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 09:35:16 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mosè,
>
>> I'd like to do a little survey: does someone find useful to correctly
>> parse \jobname in LaTeX files?  To be clear, as it is now,
>>
>>     \include{\jobname-foo}
>>     \addbibresource{\jobname.bib}
>>
>> are ignored by the parser.[1] Do you think it's valuable to make
>> \jobname be replaced by `(TeX-master-file)' when parsing the file?
>>
>> This should be feasible by changing `LaTeX-auto-cleanup' and some
>> regexps in `LaTeX-auto-regexp-list', but before starting hacking on it
>> I'd like some feedback.
>
> I don't use \jobname so I don't have a real opinion on this.

Actually me neither, just because AUCTeX can't handle \jobname, but I
don't know how often I'd use it otherwise.

> But
> \jobname could be anything, the basename of the master file is just the
> default, no?  That is, I could set `TeX-command-extra-options' to
> "-jobname foo" although my document is bar.tex, and then \jobname
> expands to "foo".

Indeed yes, but if you change \jobname it woulnd't be possible to open
the viewer with `C-c C-v' either.[1]  This is another strange
effect/breakage Marcin referred to.

Note:

[1] In my personal wishlist there is the possibility to handle custom
jobname and outdir with file local variables.