Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Implementing TeX-update
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 21:45:09 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> Now could there also be commands `TeX-update-region' and
>> `LaTeX-update-section'?
>
> In `TeX-command-sequence' there is the line
>
>     (TeX-command cmd 'TeX-master-file 0)
>
> so commands are always run on the whole document, but we can change
> this by adding another argument to the function with the name of the
> file to be compiled, for the region case.  Also the `t' branch of the
> first `cond' should be updated to cater for the region.

I just added an optional FILE-FN argument which can be either
#'TeX-master-file or #'TeX-region-file.  So now you can do

  (TeX-command-sequence t t #'TeX-region-file)

to recompile the region.  Well, what's missing is that the region file
needs to be updated before doing that but I don't have time to do that.

>> And while we are at it: do you think "update" is the best term for
>> this feature?  IMHO, it's a too wide term, e.g., anything can be
>> updated and there's already `TeX-update-style' which has nothing to
>> do with that feature.  So maybe the terms "recompile" or just
>> "compile" would fit better?
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I tend to agree with you.
> I just followed the name suggested in our wishlist which also matches
> the proposed key binding `C-c C-u'.  Feel free to change the names
> (and key binding), if you feel like that.

Too bad the bindings for the only two better terms I can come up, i.e.,
_c_ompile and _r_ecompile, are already taken for _c_ommand and
_r_egion...